How much do you agree or disagree with the following statements?
- I feel confident speaking to people who are older than me
- I enjoy working with other young people as part of a team
- I'm good at listening to other people
Scale: Strongly agree / Slightly agree / Not sure / Slightly disagree / Strongly disagree
Source: Adapted from Reading Hack survey (2015) developed by The Reading Agency
The next questions ask you to think about whether and how things might have changed since you took part in the [activity]. Please say how much you agree or disagree with the following statements.
- Since I took part in the [activity], I am more confident about speaking in front of a group of people my own age
- Since I took part in the [activity], I am more confident about speaking with people in authority
- Since I took part in the [activity], I am more confident about leading a group in an activity or a discussion.
Scale: Strongly agree / Agree / Neither agree nor disagree / Disagree / Strongly disagree / Don't know
Source: The Youth of Today evaluation - technical report (2010) developed by the National Centre for Social Research and DfE. Wave 2 Questions 1-3, p.32.
Tip: This is a reflective question to be asked after the activity has taken place.
How often do you meet socially with friends, relatives or work colleagues?
- Less than once a month
- Once a month
- Several times a month
- Once a week
- Several times a week
- Every day
- Don't know
Source: European Social Survey (2014) ESS Round 7 Questionnaire developed by Centre for Comparative Social Surveys - Question C2 p14.
How many close friends would you say you have? Do you belong to any social networking web-sites? How many hours do you spend chatting or interacting with friends through social web-sites on a normal week day, that is Monday to Friday?
- Less than an hour
- 1-3 hours
- 4-6 hours
- 7 or more hours (see more)
Source: Understanding Society - The UK Household Longitudinal Study - Questionnaire Wave 7 v04 (2015) developed by ISER. p. 584 and p. 586.
Tip: There are a number of relevant questions in this survey - refer to the full source for more.
Could you please tell me on a scale of 1 to 10 how satisfied you are with each of the following items?
- Your family life
- Your social life
Scale: 1 = very dissatisfied, 10 = very satisfied
Source: Eurofund - The European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions (2011) - Questions 40e and 40g.
Social and cultural participation
In the last 12 months, have you given any unpaid help or worked as a volunteer for any type of local, national or international organisation or charity?
Here are some statements about neighbourhoods. Please answer how strongly you agree or disagree with each statement.
- I feel like I belong to this neighbourhood
- The friendships and associations I have with other people in my neighbourhood mean a lot to me.
- If I needed advice about something I could go to someone in my neighbourhood.
- I borrow things and exchange favours with my neighbours.
- I would be willing to work together with others on something to improve my neighbourhood.
- I plan to remain a resident of this neighbourhood for a number of years.
- I think of myself as similar to the people that live in this neighbourhood.
- I regularly stop and talk with people in my neighbourhood.
Scale: Strongly agree / Agree / Neither agree not disagree / Disagree / Strongly disagree
Source: Understanding Society - The UK Household Longitudinal Study - Mainstage Questionnaire Wave 6 v02 (2015) developed by the Institute of Social and Economic Research. p. 323 and p. 403-406.
Tip: The source link is a direct download.
In the last 12 months, have you been to any of these events?
- Film at a cinema or other venue
- Exhibition or collection of art, photography or sculpture
- Craft exhibition (not crafts market)
- Event which included video or electronic art
- Event connected with books or writing
- Street arts (art in everyday surroundings like parks, streets or shopping centres)
- A public art display or installation (an art work such as sculpture that is outdoors or in a public place)
- Circus (not animals)
- Culturally specific festival (for example, Mela, Baisakhi, Navrati)
- Play / drama
- Opera / operetta
- Classical music performance
- Jazz performance
- Other live music event
- Contemporary dance
- African people's dance or South Asian and Chinese dance
- Other live dance event
- None of these
How often in the last 12 months have you been to this type of event in your own time or as part of voluntary work?
- At least once a week
- Less often that once a week but at least once a month
- Less often than once a month but at least 3 or 4 times a year
- Twice in the last 12 months
- Once in the last 12 months
- Don't know
Source: Taking Part - Adult Questionnaire 2015/16 (2015) developed by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) p. 33-34, section 6.2.2.
The next statements are about what might occur outside your school or home, such as in your NEIGHBORHOOD, COMMUNITY, or with an ADULT other than your parents or guardian.
Outside of my home and school...
- I am part of clubs, sports teams, church/temple, or other group activities
- I am involved in music, art, literature, sports, or a hobby
- I help other people
Scale: Not at all true / A little true / Pretty much true / Very much true
Source: The California Healthy Kids Survey Resilience and Youth Development Module (2015) developed by California Department of Education. w. 40-42.
Understanding self and others
No questions that meet our criteria have been identified for 'Understanding self & others'. You might like to look at the existing evidence about this outcome in the evidence section or refer to the methods section for information about different methods and how to develop your own questions to measure outcomes.
If you know of a question that can be used for this outcome let us know and we will consider it for future versions of the toolkit - we plan to update it when possible. Send full details to The Reading Agency